Tips for Building an Effective E-Mail Marketing List
Building a database of consumers or potential consumers is a key part of the development of any business. What has become one of the most effective ways to build that database is by using an e-mail marketing list.
E-mail lists give companies a direct line of open communication with their subscribers. The advantages of using e-mail as an instrument is that mobile devices make subscribers accessible pretty much any time of day. And the analytical capabilities of e-mail have improved to where marketers can get a much more detailed representation of their subscribers.
But before marketers can even think of analyzing their subscribers, they need to build a strong e-mail list of potential consumers. While there is no precise formula, there are tactics that will give you the best chance of having an audience opt in to your e-mail list.
- Make Signing Up Easy: You can’t expect people to have to work to sign into your e-mail list. A signup prompt should be on every page of your site, with above the header typically being ideal.
- Find Offline Ways to Gather E-mails: Don’t get stuck thinking that you can only gather e-mail subscribers through online tactics. Collecting e-mail addresses at events or other in-person opportunities is a great way to build your e-mail list.
- What’s In It For Them: A coupon or free offering can actually be the main reason people initially sign up. Make it enticing and exciting, then take it a step further by letting consumers know exactly what they could expect once they do sign up; if they don’t know what kind of information they’re getting, then why would they sign up?
- People Are Human: Marketing e-mails can sometimes become generic and banal in their content and delivery. Make sure you use language that is personalized and common with content that speaks to the individual subscriber.
- Mobile Matters: This is one that should always be a consideration. Sixty-one percent of e-mails are opened on some sort of mobile device and 80% of subscribers will delete e-mails that aren’t mobile-friendly, not to mention that open and clickthrough rates can improve by 15–24% if e-mails are optimized for mobile.
Developing an Effective E-Mail List
E-mails lists can be a great tool for communicating to your consumers and for ultimately converting that communication into sales, but it starts with being able to first create an effective e-mail list and then managing that list in a manner that will maximize its worth. Macromark is expert at brokering and managing e-mail lists and can give your company the edge it needs to get ahead of the competition. Call Macromark or visit their web site for more information on how they can help you develop your e-mail lists.
Schiff, J.L., “9 Tips for Building an Effective Email Marketing List,” CIO web site, September 11, 2014; http://www.cio.com/article/2605855/e-mail-marketing/9-tips-for-building-an-effective-e-mail-marketing-list.html.