Newspaper Ads for Retail Business
Using newspaper ads for your retail business is one of the most effective ways to entice your prospects. Newspaper ads involve several elements that are essential and cannot be taken for granted. While many businesses dismiss the idea of advertising through print media because of the rise of online advertising, there are huge benefits to print ads you need to know about. If you’re looking for a reliable way to reach your prospects and encourage them to visit your store, here’s what you need to know!
Benefits of Using Newspapers for Retail Advertising
Here are some of the amazing benefits you will get from sharing information about your business in local newspaper ads:
- Reaches a wide audience of frequent readers
- Many affordable options to choose from; works with your budget
- Newspapers are a trustworthy platform for consumers to get information
- Engages many readers
- Works well with your online advertising platforms (social media, web site, Google ads, etc.)
- Easily altered or changed to generate more customer responses
- Targeted to specific areas or demographics, especially in community and local newspapers
- Effective for targeting shoppers
- Available in a variety of formats; allows customization
Type of Print Ads for Retail Business
Business Card Ad
This type of ad tells your reader who you are and where they can contact you. It can also include your logo, but it must be short and sweet. The placement for this type of ad may not always be the best, but you will be in the paper every day, at a reasonable price.
This type of ad is a great option for sales promotions to bring in new customers. You can offer a certain dollar or percentage amount off your products to encourage customers to visit your online or physical store. Coupon ads are one of the easiest kinds to track the effectiveness because the customer needs to present the coupon to get the special offer. You can simply count the number of coupons received to know how well your advertisement is doing.
This is the most common type of ad placed in print media by retailers. The sale is open to the entire public, instead of a particular customer, like the coupon ad. This means that anyone who comes into your store can receive a discount on a product. A sale ad is the highest driver of traffic to your store, but it should only be used to clear out old inventory or create cash flow.
A spotlight ad focuses the attention on a specific product line, customer, or staff member of your business. It works great as a larger display ad that you can run seasonally or a few times a year. The ad artwork will come at a fee, but you will need to negotiate with your vendor to determine the cost of the ad in the newspaper.
An informational ad is generally referred to as an advertorial, and it is written in a journalistic style. It reads like an article instead of an ad. These types of ads work well because when they are used in the online version of the print newspaper or magazine, you can get amazing traffic to your store or web site.
Important Elements in your Print Ads
Every print media ad for retail should have the following elements:
- Logo/Business Name: If this element does not explain who you are and what you provide, make sure your ad clarifies it.
- Call to Action (CTA): This is one of the most important parts of your ad. It explains why anyone would want to contact your business and what you can offer them.
- Additional Information: Your ad should also include what your business does and how you can help solve a problem for your customer. Don’t make this part too lengthy, because you want to catch skimmers and quick readers who don’t have time to read an essay.
- Visual Elements: Your logo, colours, a picture of your business or products, or a graphic related to your business should be included in your ad. Choose your image carefully because a picture says a thousand words.
- Contact Information: There’s no point making an ad if your prospects don’t know how to reach you. Include your phone number, store address, web site, and social media handles at the bottom of your ad.
- Bonus – Tagline: If you want to make your business memorable to your prospects, consider creating a tagline. Nike is famous for this with their “Just do it” motto; you can do this too!
The Role of Newspaper Advertising for Retail Businesses
By using newspapers to advertise your retail business, you can promote your brand to a large audience who is likely to visit your store. Advertising through this platform can attract customers to enter your store to shop, as there are multiple ways to entice and interest them. With the right guidance and direction, your ad can effectively communicate the right message to your prospects and provide them with a visual treat depending on how creative you get with your graphic elements.
How Can Macromark Help You with Your Newspaper Ad Campaign?
Now that you understand the elements of newspaper advertising that drive success, it’s time to begin creating a campaign of your own. There are many advantages to using print media to advertise. Huge brands still use newspapers as their primary means of leading prospects to their store, and to connect them to their online store or web sinewte. You can create an effective campaign that engages your audience and encourages them to make a purchase. Building a newspaper campaign needs to be done the right way so working with a professional marketing agency will allow you to reap the benefits and success that comes with the medium.
If you want to experience the advantages of a successful newspaper and print media strategy, contact Macromark. We can help you understand the pros and cons of print media vs. electronic media and this opportunity to grow your customer base. We can provide all the information, advice, and assistance you need to get your print catalog marketing campaign up and running. Our services also include print media, direct mail marketing, list brokerage, data solutions, list fulfillment, and list management. For more information about how we can help grow your business, contact us at 1-845-230-6300.
Latest posts by David Klein (see all)
- Print Ads That Will Tug on Your Heart: How Emotions Improve the Effectiveness of Advertising - September 14, 2018
- Funny Print Ads That Will Make You Laugh - September 4, 2018
- How Can a Newspaper Ad’s Position Bring You More Sales? - August 24, 2018