3 Ways to Connect with Millennials Through Direct Mail Marketing
Millennials, Millennials, Millennials. The conversation for at least the last half-dozen years or so has been centered around how to cater to what has become the most prominent group in America, and ultimately the world. For marketers, Millennials represent opportunity, and for those marketers using direct mail, the opportunity is not only present, but can lead to generating some strong connections to a powerful group of consumers.
Before we offer any advice on how to use direct mail marketing to connect with Millennials, you need to remove from your mind the notion that this generation is somehow allergic to anything non-digital. While it’s true that most Millennials can’t go an hour without checking their smartphones, they also encompass a demographic that includes homeowners, parents, business owners, and many other people plenty capable of reading and engaging in a piece of physical mail.
As a marketer, you just have to be sure you’re speaking their language. Here are some tips to make sure you’re on the right track:
- No Formalities Needed: One trademark of Generation Y is that they have kicked formalities to the curb. No dressing up for work, they write in short form and emojis, and hashtags are a real thing. So your copy needs to be casual. We’re not saying that you have to completely sacrifice brand identity, but you need to communicate in a tone that is consistent to their language.
- Connect to Digital: We’ve spoken several times about how multi-platform campaigns are the way to go. When you’re sending out your direct mail pieces, you must find a way to connect it back to some kind of digital promotion or info. This is essential for Millennials who are raised in the digital generation and are comfortable taking action online.
- Looks Matter: Bring your vanity to the forefront when dealing with Millennials, because looks surely matter. The fastest way to get your mailer tossed in the trash is to produce a not-so-good-looking piece. Get your colors down, get your images right, and create material that stands out to the harshest critic.
- Bonus: Millennials love feeling like they are a part of something, so why not invite them to do just that? Ask them questions on how you can improve, or on what they would do differently were they in control of your marketing–anything to make them feel special and involved.
Macromark has gone through generations of direct mail marketing. We understand how to first target specific demographics, then approach them in a manner that is fitting. Close to 30 years of experience means not only have we lasted, but we’ve been able to thrive in a market despite the embrace of digital technology.
Connecting with any consumer group is a challenge, but Macromark is up for it. Contact Us now and let’s get your next direct mail marketing campaign started.
Latest posts by David Klein (see all)
- What Is Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) and Its Benefits? - May 19, 2017
- Print Advertising Is Still Alive - May 15, 2017
- Advantages of Local Newspaper Advertising - May 4, 2017